If you are getting a message popping up on Windows that says “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows is not genuine and is not eligible to receive the full range of upgrades and product support from Microsoft” there is no need to be alarmed because you probably just need to activate your copy of Windows using your Windows license key. This error message can occur on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 versions.
This Windows error message occurs if your copy of Microsoft Windows attempts to run Windows Updates but has not been activated. To fix this error message you will just need to simply activate your copy of Windows using your 25 digit Windows license key. The Windows counterfeit error message is common if your computer has had Windows restored, re-installed Windows, upgraded Windows, installed a new copy of Windows, or reset your computer back to the factory default settings. If none of the previous scenarios are true for you, then malware may have compromised the Windows registry on your computer.
Here is how to activate your copy of Windows online:
1. Click the ‘Start’ Button located at left side of the desktop
2. Right Click on Computer and then select Properties. It will let you go to the System Properties.
3. Click on “Activate Windows online now”.
4. Locate your Windows license key on your DVD installation media, or a license key sticker may be located on your computer. (Windows 8 computers do not have a license key sticker on the computer)
4. After entering the 25 character validation key, click ‘Next’ to activate Windows on your desktop or laptop. After a few seconds (depending on the speed of your Internet) your copy of Windows will be verified with Microsoft and the message should no longer appear.
Alternatively if you cannot activate your computer online you may call Microsoft to activate your copy of Windows over a phone. You will read your Windows license key to a Microsoft support attendant and they will give you a series of characters in return to enter in order to activate your copy of Microsoft Windows. This is pretty easy to do and no need to be alarmed. If you need help activating your copy of Windows contact a local computer repair store near you.